Tallowood Hill Farm is set overlooking the banks of the Tallawudjah Creek near the village of Glenreagh on the North Coast of New South Wales, Australia.
Our address is 346 Shipmans Road, Glenreagh, NSW, 2450.
Some history of our farm:
- Son of an English convict, William Shipman and his wife Theresa took up settlement on this land in 1887. Their eldest son John (Jack) Shipman with his wife, Evelyn further developed the land and raised their family. Tirelessly working, living in a slab hut, they milled timber, and raised livestock including beef and dairy cattle, pigs and chickens.
- In 1910 Jack and Evelyn had extended their land holdings to over 3000 acres and selected the prime location to build a grand timber farmhouse (said to be one of the grandest in this area at the time) including a large bay window at the front with stained glass, french doors leading from the bedrooms onto the verandah, 12 foot high ceilings and an open fire place)
- An extension was made to the back of the house off the kitchen to operate as the Tallawudjah Post Office and Telephone Exchange. The farmhouse kitchen became the hub of not only the house but the local area as a source of news, information and good times to the locals that travelled on horse back or in a horse drawn cart to make and receive contact with the outside world. Mrs Shipman would welcome weary travellers with a hot cup of tea and home made scones, allowing them to rest before setting off on their journey home.
- A further portion of the land was leased back to the crown to be used as a Primary School. This site was selected for the children due to it’s superior aspect, positioned on a level site of the creek flats allowing the local children to walk or ride their pony to school in this beautiful setting. The school consisted of a main school house, toilets, and a weather shed overlooking a grass tennis court, horse yards and a fenced yard to play surrounded by shade trees. This site lends itself perfectly to Glamping holidays, Farm Weddings and Special Occasion Gatherings. (The original timber school house is still in use today and is located at the Lowanna Primary School approximately 20km West of it’s original site on the Eastern Dorrigo Plateau.)
- If you would like to contact us for further information on Tallowood Hill Farm please fill in the contact form below and one of our friendly team members will be in touch with you.
We would like to respectfully acknowledge the traditional custodians and first people of the land that we are currently on, we respect their spiritual relationships with their country.
We would like to pay our respects to the Elders past and present and would like to extend our respect to other Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.